Bryden Wood is a global company of creative technologists, designers, architects, engineers and analysts. We are shaping the future of construction by bringing integrated expertise, innovation, deep experience, open minds and creativity to unravel the most complex problems and create exceptional, sustainable design solutions – all for a better built environment.
We are leaders in the theory and practice of Modern Methods of Construction (MMC), the Platform approach to Design for Manufacture and Assembly (P-DfMA), generative design, creative technologies, integrated design and automation in construction. All of which support our driving purpose: Design to Value
We are expanding our work in the worlds of manufacturing and the process industries. We strive to bring innovation and value to vital and diverse industries facing massive change in the coming decade including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, data centres, and carbon capture.
We are looking for a Process Piping Leader to work on a permanent basis. They will bring deep knowledge and experience of process piping design, fabrication and construction to augment our substantial mechanical engineering group and work closely with our process sector specialist engineers and architects.
The Process Piping Leader will lead piping design across diverse projects, lead the development of piping design practices and systems within Bryden Wood and train Bryden Wood piping designers and engineers. Projects are mainly in life sciences at first but can span hydrocarbons to semi-conductors.
We are looking for a curious and collaborative innovator, motivated to help us create a process piping capability for the 21st century. You will have the opportunity to contribute to design solutions on many early-stage projects, feasibility and concept studies and see these concepts into front-end design. We collaborate with a diverse set of constructors and fabricators, including our in-house teams, so the role includes helping and guiding external contractors and designers.
- Create and develop process plant 3D and 4D designs using models, drawings and diagrams including:
- 3D models from concept to fabrication detail primarily using REVIT and Solidworks but possibly other CAD systems.
- Piping specifications.
- Line and valve schedules
- Preparation of fabrication packages including isometrics, bills of materials and models.
- Contribution to P&IDs, plant layouts, general arrangements, isometric drawings.
- Ensure process plant designs comply with codes and standards and meet best practices.
- Contribute to the development of designs for off-site fabrication and assembly aiming for safe and efficient manufacturing and minimisation of site work.
- Lead or contribute to 3D model coordination across disciplines and with external partners.
- Liaise with third parties as part of design process (equipment suppliers, installation contractors)
- Contribute to design risk assessments.
- Work with the mechanical engineers and designers from other sectors to develop Bryden Wood’s overall capability.
- Contribute to the development of design automation systems.
- Lead the development of Bryden Wood process piping ways of working in collaboration with the process engineering, mechanical engineering and BIM specialists.
- Conduct site surveys, inspection at suppliers and on-site design support during construction.
- Reviewing and validating documentation for technical accuracy prior to issue.
- Proven experience and expertise in process plant piping design and construction.
- Capability to produce computer models, plans, layouts and isometrics for process plant including but not limited to pharmaceutical plants.
- Highly skilled with process plant and piping CAD.
- Knowledge of piping engineering including use of codes and standards, materials selection, stress analysis and pipe specification.
- Minimum HNC or equivalent in related technical / engineering subject (e.g., Mechanical/Piping)
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with communicating and presenting over MS Teams
- Experience of using REVIT
Bryden Wood offers a variety of company benefits including:
- 9-Day Fortnight (not compressed hours - we give one genuinely free rest day every fortnight with no change to salary)
- Paid professional membership
- Private Healthcare scheme funded by Bryden Wood (tax is payable)
- Regular performance reviews to help with your career progression
- Pension scheme (matched contribution up to 5%)
- Cycle to work scheme
Please see here for more info about the benefits of working at Bryden Wood.